We are seeking a VP/Director of Marketing to oversee the entire marketing and ecommerce function of The Pro’s Closet. The perfect candidate will be a fellow bike nerd with a strong background in developing a marketing strategy, building a marketing department, excelling in a consumer-facing ecommerce business, and executing on a digital marketing plan. This will require a combination of strategic thought and a substantial amount of rolling up your sleeves to get stuff done. This hire is the first full-time marketing hire for the company and will be integral part of the executive team.
The Pros Closet (TPC) is the world’s largest online retailer of pre-owned bikes and cycling gear. TPC helps bike retailers, athletes, manufacturers, and bike enthusiasts sell their gear in a hassle free way. TPC then completely refurbishes these bikes so they look like new and then resells them as an affordable way for bike consumers to buy a high-end, pre-owned bike in excellent condition.
Founded in 2007 by a former professional mountain biker living out of his Volkswagen Bus, The Pro’s Closet started as a hobby and quickly grew into an easy way for professional cycling teams to sell their used gear. Since then, TPC has become a highly-regarded marketplace for people around the world to buy and sell previously-owned bikes and gear.
With just under 40 employees in our casual, yet fast-paced environment, we recently received an investment from an experienced investment firm to expand our marketplace beyond eBay and to further accelerate our rapid growth. With deep industry relationships, we are already the leader in what we do and we’re barely scratching the surface. This is an exciting time to join us!
“Extend the Ride”
To be the trusted authority and marketplace for cyclists to buy and sell high quality, pre-owned bikes and cycling gear. Our marketplace is built to inspire cyclists to discover more ways to extend their ride by unlocking the value in gear that already exists.
The VP/Director of Marketing will be an important part of the senior leadership team reporting directly to the CEO. This role is responsible for developing a marketing plan, overseeing the scoping and launch of an ecommerce website, driving traffic to the site, executing a digital content strategy, and proliferating The Pro’s Closet brand to our target audience. This person has a fairly blank canvas to work with as we scale TPC into the premier destination for buying and selling preowned bikes across the country and around the globe.
You will be directly responsible for managing the marketing budget. You’ll have a team of 4 photographers, including 1 Photography Department manager who also handles the company’s digital marketing efforts currently on a part-time basis. In addition, you’ll be responsible for managing any external agencies the company engages to assist with our marketing efforts.
The position calls for someone who is creative while also very analytical. We want a marketer who operates with an eye towards ROI and understanding the impact the chosen marketing tactics have on the business. This person needs to have a deep understanding of the most effective digital marketing channels for our target audiences in both driving sales of products as well as getting in front of the right buyers for TPC to acquire inventory.
Maintaining a positive, team-minded attitude is imperative in this position as you will be a key leader in the company. Flexibility and a willingness to help in any way possible are needed in our small, dynamic team environment. TPC has a unique culture that is deeply engaged in lean manufacturing which promotes an environment of continuous process improvement in everything we do.
- Build a marketing plan that targets the company’s target audience; help the company understand who our target audience is both for buying bikes and selling bikes
- Oversee the launch of our new ecommerce website; work with the technical team to spec the requirements and ensure it’s built to deliver what is needed from a digital marketing and product merchandising perspective
- Oversee all digital marketing efforts, including SEO, SEM, display advertising/retargeting, Facebook, content creation, Youtube, email and more, with a goal to drive new traffic at an optimal cost of acquisition
- Build our email marketing capabilities and execute drip-marketing campaigns to (a) convert sellers into buyers and buyers into sellers, (b) convert ebay shoppers into shoppers on the to-be-launched TPC ecommerce site, (c) drive overall company revenue, and (d) engage our industry partners and bike enthusiast consumers.
- Establish and track KPIs and metrics that indicate which marketing tactics are performing best
- Develop a comprehensive, actionable content strategy that effectively tells the TPC story and broadcasts it to the right people via the right medium
- Work with the Photography Manager to create industry/museum videos that build brand awareness
- Manage costs according to the marketing budget
- Be a leader for the departments you are responsible for as well as for other managers and employees throughout the company. Help elevate and build the capabilities of the team.
- In addition to on-the-job training, employees are encouraged to use, enjoy and better understand our products outside of work. Get out and ride!
- 10 years of strategic and tactical marketing experience with an emphasis on digital marketing and robust experience in a consumer ecommerce business
- Deep knowledge of the most effective digital channels in today’s environment for acquiring new customers at the most effective CAC; experience setting up campaigns and executing in those channels
- Strong technical skills in setting up and managing drip-email marketing campaigns
- Proven experience rolling out a new ecommerce platform, experience building organic search engine traffic, and a knack for establishing/managing SEM and display marketing
- Demonstrated experience developing a digital marketing plan that includes the development of video content, articles/writing, PR, social media and other tactics.
- A history of being able to effectively manage external service providers cost effectively
- Experience working in a VC-backed or private equity-backed company is highly desired
- Experience preparing materials for board meetings and presenting to senior stakeholders
- A passion for working in a high growth business as the pace and expectations of the culture require both a high attention to detail and a commitment to excellence.
- Strong organizational skills with a high attention to detail.
- A passion for success, a positive and friendly attitude and a consistent work ethic are all a must.
- Experience in the bike industry is a major plus; at a minimum, a strong passion for biking.
HOW TO APPLY
Email email@example.com with a resume and cover letter highlighting relevant experience. Please make the subject line: “Director of Marketing – Your Name”.
The Pro’s Closet is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcome all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or religion or other legally protected status.